Random Quote

(Loading...)

Powered by Ink of Life

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Beale Street

28 July 17

My first visit to Memphis, specifically Beale Street, was short and sweet, only two hours. In that time I took a few pictures and ate some good gumbo. Hope you enjoy a little picture stroll down the very photogenic Beale Street.
Overview of Beale Street
This first shot is an overview of Beale street, with a neon sign proudly proclaiming the name. I like to take a lot of detail shots, so I took this one to make sure I grabbed an overall sense of the atmosphere. It was raining on and off, not really a lot of tourists that day though we saw a few groups here and there. There is a bar with goats (yes goats, plural) over on the left. The front of the building is being held up by those steel beams. I really want to know what happened there! 





Beale Street. Broadway in miniature.
Benjamin Franklin Booth Historical Marker


 


Ida B. Wells


I took a few shots of the historical markers around the street. Ida B Wells, speaking out about the lynching of three black businessmen and what happened to her because of that. There were more markers, but these are the ones that caught my eye in the short time we were there. I did not know that General Ulysses Grant had a Civil War headquarters right here. I look forward to finding other markers and learning more of the past here.



Black and white of the street light outside of BB King's.
This shot will be a book cover someday. I like the color on the right and the feel of the wood grain floor.

A musician warming up at BB King's

 

These next pictures are in and around BB King's Blues Club Memphis. The traffic light right outside was plastered with stickers, looked pretty cool. The tables inside were painted with music legends such as Booker T. and Elvis. A musician was warming up onstage while we ate. The gumbo ya ya was great!


 These last pictures are in and around Beale Street. Nothing in particular, just stuff that caught my interest.
Memphis Music Hall of Fame. Didn't have a
chance to go in on this trip.
The Blues Brothers


Inset of a door
Johnny Cash
Elvis Presley


Love Me Tender! lol
This menu cracked me up! The Jim Dandy, the Love Me Tender, Jail House Special. lol.
The famous Orpheum

This last picture here...I have no idea what it means! I have so many questions. Who was Marsha? And why would the cargo make her feel so strange? So many questions!

No comments:

Post a Comment