Random Quote

(Loading...)

Powered by Ink of Life

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Music

30APR17: To close out this month of April, here's a little bit about music. I listen to all sorts and I will date myself with some of the tunes I bang my head to, lol. 

First off, if I searched my soul for my fondest music memory, it would be listening to the Supertramp Live in Paris double album at my Dad's house in Inglewood. My dad had this sweet setup back in the day with huge speakers and a dual turntable that would automatically play the second record when the first one was done. 

*For the youngins in the audience, a record is a big rough black piece of plastic about the size of a dinner plate. Has a bunch of grooves in it and you had to place a little needle on the outer edge of the record in order to start the music. 

I would lie on the carpeted floor, close my eyes and be transported to the center of a roaring Parisian crowd.

Supertramp

That was my first taste of Supertramp and it soured their studio albums for me. I wanted a more organic feel than studio perfection. I did see them in concert later in life, which was a great experience! 

So that is at my soul's core. Right next door though are some strange neighbors. Metallica, Suicidal Tendencies (thanks to my Dad, who had the first ST album I listened to, and shout out to anyone else from SoCal out there!) and Nine Inch Nails (NIN) are near and dear to my heart too. Pretty Hate Machine is one of the best albums out there, in my opinion, but then so is a lot of Trent's later stuff too. System of a Down and other bands like that, I can listen to them all day long. My wife calls it my Angry Beaver Music, lol.

After that I have my alternative/L.A. tastes. Rooted in my exposure growing up with the non-genre that is the Los Angeles melting pot music scene, I also had a bunkmate during my first few years in the Navy who was alternative to the core and re-ignited in me a love of the odd, out there, and definitely non-mainstream. Old Depeche Mode, Art of Noise, The Cure, the Smiths, Morrissey when he went solo, Concrete Blonde, Tori Amos, Sublime, Violent Femmes of course, can't forget them,... All great stuff.

Old-fashioned rock and roll and oldies makes up a lot of my playlists too. Thanks Uncle Joey and Uncle Santos. "Just take that old record off the shelf..."

So what can you expect from my playlist? Wow, well nothing typical and nothing easily predicted/expected. Here's a rundown of the last ten songs or so I listened to:


  1.  Metallica - Master of Puppets
  2. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Freebird (how did I never notice they used only y's in their band name?)
  3. Santana - Do You Like the Way
  4. James - Laid
  5. The Bravery - The Bad Sun (Sun Version)
  6. Seal - Killer
  7. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Under the Bridge
  8. Rammstein - Du Hast
  9. Rolling Stones - Paint it Black
  10. Matisyahu - King Without a Crown
No NIN or Supertramp in there, but a pretty good sample of what I jam out to. When writing, I will sometimes listen to music to inspire me, other times I will set it to play my favorites and take inspiration as it comes. 

I'm totally interested it what sounds you hear when you search your soul and find your fondest music memory. What makes your heart dance and sing? What makes your tail wag?

Picture for today is the cover to the Supertramp in Paris album.


No comments:

Post a Comment