Random Quote

(Loading...)

Powered by Ink of Life

Thursday, July 11, 2019

Urban Fantasies, Female Main Characters, Dragon Soul Press & other musings

11 JUL 19

Working away over here. Editing and expanding several stories, most notable today is an urban fantasy short story I wrote called (for now) The Symbol and the Ring, set in my home town of Los Angeles. Got some great feedback on it. Good pacing, good setting, solid ending. All great to hear. It's my take on urban fantasy, considering I haven't read many stories set in that genre. It's got a little fantasy in it and it's set in an urban setting, so voila! Urban Fantasy!

While I was working on the one hiccup a reader found, I spotted something else that needed fixing as well so I decided to scrub it from beginning to end. As I dove into editing, I remembered how much I liked Carol, the heroine of the story. She, like many Angelenos, is a transplant. She came to L.A. to follow her dream of acting and somewhere along the way she found a passion for police work, specifically crime scene investigation. One of my readers said that Carol felt real to them, not like a male writer trying to write a female character. Very good to hear. Looking forward to writing more stories about her! 

Picture for today: A little love for Dragon Soul Press, an independent publisher founded by a FB friend. Their covers draw you in, and the stories inside fill your heart with wonder. I haven't published anything through them yet, bad timing really. I am focusing more on self-publishing now instead of selling my stories to others. Anyways, take a gander at three of their covers for upcoming anthologies and enjoy. 
Link to their pages: 
Web: https://dragonsoulpress.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dragonsoulpress/









No comments:

Post a Comment